Oct. 28 HDD workshop - request for materials

Jason Adrian

Hi all,
I would like to ask who would be interested in helping create some kickoff slides and ideas for the HDD workshop on the 28th. We have 2 main topics, and I'm hoping to get volunteers to have a few slides available to help kickstart the conversation. Feel free to reach out to me if you have a proposal to discuss prior to the workshop. As a reminder, I've put the topics below:

1)

Future HDD interfaces - SAS/SATA/NVMe. Can we converge on long term physical interconnect and protocols? Discuss pro’s and con’s of each option.

2)

HDD IO Prioritization - How can we get the most performance out of rotational media? How can the software and hardware get smarter together?

Ralph Weber

Jason,

I’m confused. Didn’t I “volunteer” to develop a 20-ish minute presentation to jump-start a conversation about, “How can the software and hardware get smarter together?”

All the best,

.Ralph

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Western Digital. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know that the content is safe.

Hi all,

I would like to ask who would be interested in helping create some kickoff slides and ideas for the HDD workshop on the 28th. We have 2 main topics, and I'm hoping to get volunteers to have a few slides available to help kickstart the conversation. Feel free to reach out to me if you have a proposal to discuss prior to the workshop. As a reminder, I've put the topics below:

1)

Future HDD interfaces - SAS/SATA/NVMe. Can we converge on long term physical interconnect and protocols? Discuss pro’s and con’s of each option.

2)

HDD IO Prioritization - How can we get the most performance out of rotational media? How can the software and hardware get smarter together?

Yong Jiang

Hi, Jason,

I would be happy to put together a slide deck. Facebook has been exploring IO prioritization and we would like to share our experience and challenges, many of which cannot be easily resolved without the collaboration across the industry. Looking forward to discussing these topics at the workshop.

Thanks,

Yong

From: <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io> on behalf of Jason Adrian <jason.adrian@...>
Date: Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 5:27 PM
To: "OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io" <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io>

Hi all,

I would like to ask who would be interested in helping create some kickoff slides and ideas for the HDD workshop on the 28th. We have 2 main topics, and I'm hoping to get volunteers to have a few slides available to help kickstart the conversation. Feel free to reach out to me if you have a proposal to discuss prior to the workshop. As a reminder, I've put the topics below:

1)

Future HDD interfaces - SAS/SATA/NVMe. Can we converge on long term physical interconnect and protocols? Discuss pro’s and con’s of each option.

2)

HDD IO Prioritization - How can we get the most performance out of rotational media? How can the software and hardware get smarter together?

Jason Adrian

That would be great. For those that expressed interest, please reach out to me directly so we can reduce the amount of emails everyone gets.