Topic for August OCP Storage meeting

Ross Stenfort

All,

As many of you are aware FB has been working toward’ s contributing E1.S flash servers to OCP.  The following documents are the last piece of the documents need.  In August’s OCP Storage meeting I am planning on walking through what these documents are and how they fit together to build a flash server.

Ross

Ross Stenfort

Thank you everyone who joined the OCP Storage Call for today.

Attached are the slides we went over today.

Ross

Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 4:53 PM
To: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io
Cc: Jason Adrian <jason.adrian@...>
Subject: Topic for August OCP Storage meeting

All,

As many of you are aware FB has been working toward’ s contributing E1.S flash servers to OCP.  The following documents are the last piece of the documents need.  In August’s OCP Storage meeting I am planning on walking through what these documents are and how they fit together to build a flash server.

Ross

Michael (Byung) Choi

Hi Ross,

Is this call recording available?

If it is, please share the link.

Thanks,

Michael

From: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io [mailto:OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ross Stenfort via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [OCP-Storage] Topic for August OCP Storage meeting

Ross

All,

Ross

Michael Schill

Hi Michael,

You can view the recording here (and on the wiki): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmaPJyxGc0I

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 8:11 PM Michael (Byung) Choi via groups.io <c.michael103=samsung.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Ross,

Is this call recording available?

If it is, please share the link.

Thanks,

Michael

From: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io [mailto:OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ross Stenfort via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 4:24 PM

Ross

All,

Ross

--
Michael Schill
Community & IT Manager
Open Compute Project (OCP)
Cell/WhatsApp: (828) 674-6806
Wechat ID: MichaelSchill

The Call for Papers has started for the 2021 OCP Global Summit and is open until July 23rd! Click here for more details. ARE YOU READY FOR OPEN POSSIBILITIES? #OCPGLO21 #OCPOpenPossibilities #OCPopenforall

Brandon Gary <Brandon.Gary@...>

Hi Ross and team,

I think we should continue the trend of 9.5mm, 15mm, 25mm. Only considering 9.5mm and 25mm seems to be a vast oversight for those who may benefit from the utility of increased VM’s. That is to say the following:

9.5mm: provides the highest distribution of memory utilization at lower power for those who want to fully front load a server.

15mm: provides the balance between VM’s and memory performance.  

25mm: provides highest potential for both fast and VM limited solutions.

If we’re going to build standards around storage we should consider all applications and I think 9.5mm, 15mm, and 25mm provide widths that are applicable to corner cases amongst each heat sink height, mechanical integration, and E1.S qty. In addition to everything that I’ve typed above, adding back in 15mm will maintain consistency with the thermal validation document for E1.S.

Regards,

Brandon G.

From: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io> on behalf of Ross Stenfort via groups.io <rstenfort@...>
Date: Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 4:25 PM
To: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [OCP-Storage] Topic for August OCP Storage meeting

Ross

All,

Ross

Ross Stenfort

Brandon,

I would encourage you to attend the OCP storage meetings.  This is a FB contribution based on FB hardware.  I would encourage MSFT to contribute their flash boxes to OCP to make them available to the entire community.

Ross

From: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brandon Gary via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2021 5:48 AM

Hi Ross and team,

I think we should continue the trend of 9.5mm, 15mm, 25mm. Only considering 9.5mm and 25mm seems to be a vast oversight for those who may benefit from the utility of increased VM’s. That is to say the following:

9.5mm: provides the highest distribution of memory utilization at lower power for those who want to fully front load a server.

15mm: provides the balance between VM’s and memory performance.  

25mm: provides highest potential for both fast and VM limited solutions.

If we’re going to build standards around storage we should consider all applications and I think 9.5mm, 15mm, and 25mm provide widths that are applicable to corner cases amongst each heat sink height, mechanical integration, and E1.S qty. In addition to everything that I’ve typed above, adding back in 15mm will maintain consistency with the thermal validation document for E1.S.

Regards,

Brandon G.

From: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io> on behalf of Ross Stenfort via groups.io <rstenfort@...>
Date: Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 4:25 PM
To: OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io <OCP-Storage@OCP-All.groups.io>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [OCP-Storage] Topic for August OCP Storage meeting

Ross

All,

Ross