Core/Metro Router architecture based on Broadcom's 7nm switch ASICs

Matthew Hirsch

Hello everyone,

    Let me start by introducing myself. I'm a hobbyist teenager who enjoys researching telecommunications equipment, among many other interests. I recently came up with a core/metro router architecture inspired by ufiSpace's Distributed Disaggregated Chassis (DDC). My idea of the router consists of two different chassis configurations combined together to form a leaf spine topology. The first chassis configuration contains two groups of front QSFP ports. The first port grouping ccontains 72 x QSFP28 ports. The second grouping contains 18 x QSFP-DD ports, which are used for uplink to the spine layer. This router will use two of the 7nm Broadcom Jericho2c+ ASICs with their internal fabrics connected to each other, in a 3-4u chassis.
    The other chassis is based upon the 7nm Broadcom Tomahawk 4. It will contain 64 x QSFP-DD ports, in a 2u chassis. With these two chassis used in a leaf spine topology, you get a router architecture with a pay-as-you-grow scaling model, along with the power efficiency gains of 7nm, unlike ufiSpace's 16nm DDC. Another differentiating factor is that unlike this setup, the fabric uplinks of the DDC to the spine layer (called the fabric layer in this case) don't run on standard ethernet (as far as I can tell), meaning you get vendor lock-in when scaling up ufiSpace's DDC system. This architecture does use standard ethernet throughout, ensuring multi-vendor compatibility.
    In conclusion, with these two chassis' combined into a larger router topology, you get incremental scalability, and 7nm power efficiency. Now, the other thing needed would be an open source way to manage these separate physical ASICs connected between multiple disaggregated chassis as one virtual router. This would require a special Network Operating System setup (NOS).

Sincerely,
  Matthew Hirsch

(516) 341-2104