Re: Data Center Heat Recovery

François JEANMOUGIN

Hi Steve,

Leakage current on package only appears if the CPU runs at more than 65°C. This happens very frequently in air cooled environment, when we see CPU at up to 90°C (package temperature). DLC and Immersion allow an inlet temperature between 35 and 45 (depending on technology and “side cooling” for hybrid cooling systems), and will allow heat recovery, without facing leakage current on package.

I think your message was  to say that, to get water at 65°C (for reuse), it is better to get the water out of the IT at around 50°C, and use a heat pump. The heat pump with inlet at 45°C will have a COP of 4 (up to 6, in some cases) while the CPU has a COP of 1 (or even below 1 if you calculate it the same way you do for a heat pump).

BTW, looking at real cases, a heat pump is usually required to regulate the temperature entering the reuse system, if you want to inter-operate with standard building heating or hot water systems that are already in place. Cases that go direct from IT water to facility hot water (NREL, LRZ, etc.) look like ‘home-made’ with a lot of adaptations just not to use a heat pump. I agree that connecting the outlet to a heat pump will be the most efficient long-term investment.

François.

logo

François Jeanmougin
Head of Advanced computing