From: main@OCP-All.groups.io <main@OCP-All.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Harrington via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:46 PM
To: main@OCP-All.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OCP-All] Data Center Heat Recovery

The NREL data center is very efficient. However, when looking at heat recovery, you have to balance the extra power required at higher CPU temperature with the cost of efficient heat pumps. (a one to one comparison of watts of heat to watts of computer power is not appropriate) A hotter running processor may require 5% more power and a typical heat pump has a COP of 4.

This means that if you run your 100 watt processor hotter so it uses 105 watts to get usable heat, and the heat your are replacing requires 25 watts of power to produce 100 watts of heat, the 20 watt power savings for a 100 watts of heat may not justify the expense of hooking the computer to the heating system.

Also, once you hook up a heat source that you can't control to a heating system, you need to have a backup source of heat.

I don't think it makes sense for San Diego, but it might for a place where heat is expensive and the computers are running at full load all of the time.

Steve

Steve Harrington, Ph.D

Chilldyne, Inc | Founder & CTO | 760.476.3419 x510 | 760.994.5544 Cell

5900 Sea Lion Place, suite 150 Carlsbad CA 92010

http://www.chilldyne.com/liquid-cooling-technology/chilldyne-products-2/

On 5/19/2020 12:10 PM, Kevin McCoin via groups.io wrote:

Andrew,

NREL has done some really awesome stuff in this space and are currently operating at a 1.025 PUE.  Contact for this facility is Otto VanGeet: https://www.linkedin.com/in/otto-vangeet-pe-828b428/

Here’s a live dashboard that includes a depiction of their recovery approach:  https://www.nrel.gov/hpc/cool.html

Thanks!

Kevin L. McCoin

Distinguished Architect, Systems Engineering

Walmart Technology

Enterprise Critical Infrastructure Services
Phone: 479-277-2135  fax: 479-277-4244
kevin.mccoin@...

Wal-Mart Inc.
805 Moberly Lane