Topics

Data Center Heat Recovery [EXT]

Don Mitchell

Steve – some great points.  Wish I had the data to help understand them better.

Finding reliable, current data on CPU temperature vs performance is a challenge.

  • Air cooled IT vs liquid cooled IT – extremely different in heat transfer methodologies and temperature stability.   60C with air cooled chips will be a different study than 60C liquid cooled chips
  • Age of study – many studies date back to 2014 – few industries have changed more in 7 years than IT chips
  • Applications
    • many studies target gamers, miners….need for speed with minimal interest in efficiency.
    • Edge vs Hyperscale – Look at Cloud & Heat, CoolDC.  While San Diego may not benefit from large sources of waste heat, smaller liquid cooled “Edge” applications may be practical, especially at higher temperatures.
  • Heat reuse form factor – most applications for heat reuse (besides hot house and agriculture) require liquid transportation of heat.  So 35C air becomes 30C liquid in Stockholm before it goes into heatpumps.  45F-60F liquid is a resource in most of the world – what is the true cost of that resource

Request – Would greatly appreciate any links to studies that are less than 2 years old, looking at liquid cooled chip performance.

Laws of physics and heat transfer don’t change.  “Moores Law” and chip design do change.

Finally, Edge vs Hyperscale

Kind Regards & Keep Safe

Don Mitchell
Data Center Division Manager

+1-425-379-8335
Don.Mitchell@...

100 Years of Innovation - Forbes:  Victaulic’s Industrial Legacy…June 2019

Construction Tech Review – Top 10 BIM Consulting Services Companies:  “From preconstruction through installation, Victaulic provides a suite of services tailored to fit the project needs at every stage of the construction timeline